The American Association of Orthodontists recommends that children receive their first orthodontic evaluation at age 7. While it doesn’t always mean treatment is needed right away, this early assessment offers numerous benefits:
- Future Treatment Planning: Dr. Rangiani can determine if orthodontic treatment may be required later and closely monitor your child’s facial and jaw growth over time.
- Early Intervention: If a problem is detected, treatment can start early, taking advantage of your child’s growth for effective modification.
The AAO identifies specific cases where early treatment is crucial to prevent complications in your child’s bone structure and growth:
- Overbites and Underbites: When upper and lower teeth are misaligned.
- Crossbites: A narrow jaw can lead to breathing issues and cause the jaw to shift to one side.
- Crowded Teeth: Expanding the jaw may be necessary to create more space.
- Severe Spacing and Gaps: Addressing large gaps between teeth.
- Missing or Extra Teeth: Ensuring proper dental development.
- Incorrect Bite: When teeth don’t meet or cause trauma while closing.
- Harmful Habits: Addressing thumb-sucking, which can impact jaw growth.
Don’t wait to set your child on the path to a lifetime of healthy smiles. Schedule an orthodontic evaluation at age 7 to give them the best start in dental health.
Book your free consultation today.